Salary: Depends on Experience
Location: Avery City Hall, 250 Business Hwy 82, Avery, Texas 75554
Job Type: Full Time
Department: City Secretary
Closing: 4/30/2018 4:00 PM Central
WORKING FOR THE CITY OF AVERY
Working for the City of Avery is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of a small community where everyone on our team is committed to making Avery an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under general direction, receives official documents for the City; prepares documents, agenda packets and other materials for City Council meetings; acts as City Administrator under the direction of the Council and Mayor; provides varied, complex, and confidential support to Council and Mayor, serves as software administrator for agenda and voting system software, performs technical support and work related to the responsibilities of the City Secretary's office; supervises, to include recruiting, mentoring, coaching and mentoring staff. Performs related work as required. The work requires extensive public contact, the frequent use of tact, discretion, and independent judgment, knowledge of City activities and the ability to conduct independent projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Serves as City Secretary; receives official documents, prepares notices, agendas, ensures distribution of City Council resolutions, ordinances, and minutes, including electronically, acted upon by the City Council; attends City Council and committee meetings as well as prepares minutes.
· Oversees and ensures that the office administrative functions for the City Secretary are effectively carried out.
· Fosters a positive and equitable work atmosphere and provides effective problem resolution.
· Manages work allocation and establishes timelines and priorities.
· Serves as software administrator for both the agenda management software and voting system; provides support to all departments and other boards and commissions relating to agenda processing.
· Provides information and resolves issues for City staff, other organizations, and the public, which often requires the use of judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules, and procedures.
· Performs special projects, to include researching, compiling and analyzing information, preparing reports, identifying alternatives, and making and justifying recommendations.
· Prepares weekly check requests for the City Secretary Department.
· Prepares detailed and often confidential correspondence, reports, forms, invitations, graphic materials, and specialized documents related to the department to which assigned from drafts, notes, brief instructions, corrected copy, proofreads materials for accuracy, completeness, compliance with departmental policies, correct formatting, and correct English usage, including grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
· Arranges meetings and training by scheduling rooms, notifying participants, preparing agendas; and ensures information is accurate.
· Attends to a variety of office administrative details, such as keeping informed of departmental activities, transmitting information, preparing contracts and agreements, and arranging for equipment purchase and maintenance, attending meetings.
· Conducts special administrative project research and report preparation as assigned.
· Operates standard office equipment, including job-related computer hardware and software applications, facsimile equipment and other department-specific equipment as needed.
· Organizes and maintains various administrative, confidential, reference, and follow-up files; scans documents into records management software on a regular basis, and assists with the purging of files as required.
· Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
· Complies with all city policies and procedures, including those defined in the City of Avery’s Personnel Policies.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
· Ability to embrace values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
· Knowledge of Federal, State and City laws, rules, regulations, ordinances and codes governing municipal public record keeping, public meetings, freedom of information act, municipal elections, and municipal administrative management practices and procedures.
· Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
· Knowledge of project coordination and implementation procedures.
· Skill in effective oral and written communications.
· Skill to be accurate with great attention to detail.
· Skill to manage software systems.
· Skill to resolve customer complaints and concerns.
· Skill to operate computer applications, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word (2003 and 2007), Excel, Access, PowerPoint, city website, and Quick Books.
· Records management and open records principles and practices.
· Providing varied, responsible, and often confidential secretarial and office administrative work requiring the use of independent judgment, tact, and discretion.
· Interpreting and implementing policies, procedures, and computer applications related to the City Secretary functions.
· Analyzing and resolving office administrative and procedural problems.
· Performing project research and preparing reports and recommendations.
· Composing correspondence and reports independently or from brief instructions.
· Using initiative and independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines.
· Organizing own work, coordinating projects, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines, and following-up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
· Directing the work of others and training others in work procedures.
· Making process improvement changes to streamline procedures.
· Establishing and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
· Word processing at a net speed of 50 words per minute from printed copy.
· Pass a drug screen and a background check.
· The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
· Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
· Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in Quick Books
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
· Must pass a drug screen and background check.
· Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
· Must have dependable vehicle and maintain insurance on the vehicle
· Must be able to use personal vehicle back and fourth to work and for work related errands
· Must maintain a cell phone and be willing to answer any calls 24/7
· Must maintain a professional appearance
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
May be required to work evenings.
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of Avery is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.