Red River County, East Texas
The town was established in the 1870s, as a Texas & Pacific Railroad station, named “Douglass”.
Isaac Bradford opened a store around 1882, which housed the post office, and the name became “Isaca”.
In 1902, the name changed for the final time, to “Avery”, in honor of Ed Avery, who was the first railroad station agent.
Avery was designated as the “Tomato Capital of Northeast Texas” in 1939 and remained so until the 1970s.